The 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten Challenge is a library program that encourages all families and caregivers to read at least 1,000 books with their young children before they enter Kindergarten. Reading to your infant, toddler, or preschooler builds vocabulary, language skills, and helps prepare them with the skills they need for Kindergarten. In as little as 15 minutes a day, families can build the skills for future school and life success.
How to Start:
- Register: Sign up at the Bradford Area Public Library or create an account on Beanstack (Child readers are added to the parent’s account.) Once you are registered, you can select the 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten challenge to participate in.
- Track Your Reading: Each time you read a book with your child, record it in your Beanstack account. Readers will earn milestone badges and rewards as they work towards reading 1,000 books. Even if your child wants to hear the same book again and again, you can count it each time. You can also count the books your child hears in storytime, in daycare or preschool, or with a friend or family member!
- Milestones: Each time you and your child reach a milestone listed below, visit the library so we can look you up on Beanstack, and collect your prize.
- 1,000 Books: When you reach the goal of 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten your little reader will receive a special prize
Other Beanstack Reading Challenges:
Check here to register in any of our reading challenges that are offered throughout the year! Click on the Beanstack link(s) below to get started.
How to Start:
- Register: Sign up at the Bradford Area Public Library or create an account on Beanstack (Child readers are added to the parent’s account.)
- Track Your Reading: Each time you read a book, record it in your Beanstack account. Readers will earn milestone badges as they work towards meeting the challenge’s goals.
Reading Reward Milestones
Thurs – Sat : 10am – 6pm
Sun : Closed
Mon – Wed : 10am – 8pm